September 2022

IN PARADISE - Best Year Yet (Official Lyric Video) - YouTube

Welcome back Arno staff to all of the possibilities of

having the best year Arno has EVER had!!

Coming soon to Arno…

August 29

New Teacher Orientation

September 1

Teacher First Day/PD

Meet the Teacher 6:30

September 6

Student First Day

September 8

PBIS Stations

First PTA Meeting 6:00

September 14

PBIS Meeting 8:00

September 15

First Fire Drill 10:30

September 21

SIP Meeting 8:00

September 22

Tornado Drill 2:00

September 23

Fun Run

September 27

Fire Drill 2:00

September 29

Safety Committee 9:30

SNOOPY FLAG, Back to School. Mom's favorite time of the year..... ROFLMAO | Snoopy school, Snoopy cartoon, Snoopy pictures

ARNO VISION

ARNO ELEMENTARY WILL PROVIDE A SYSTEM OF SUPPORT TO EMPOWER

AND INSPIRE STUDENTS TO BECOME COLLABORATIVE LEARNERS

THAT STRIVE FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE-

50 Amazing Fireworks Animated Gif Pics to Share! | Fireworks animation, Fireworks gif, Fireworks

Welcome Back Arno Staff!

Arno Teaching Staff 2022-2023

Young fives Jeanine Haskin
Kindergarten Cassie Harrison
Kindergarten Nickie Roller
Kindergarten Cristina Mercer
First Grade Julie Martinchick
First Grade Barb Pushman 
First Grade Dawn Watson
Second Grade Nicole Amonette
Second Grade Alexandra Cervantes
Second Grade Megan Schultz
Third Grade Sarah Kalis
Third Grade Renee Guyot
Third Grade Rachel Warneck
Fourth Grade Megan Johnson
Fourth Grade Emilie Talamonti
Fourth Grade Aaron Huntington(Pending Board Approval)
Fifth Grade Ciara Zuke
Fifth Grade Lindsay Garza
Fifth Grade Erin Higgins
Cross Categorical Classroom Jessica Eskew
ECP Program Sara Bleau
Life Skills Stella Boyer
Media Lit Arno/Bennie Katie Jensen
Media Tech Arno/Bennie Carrie Solak
Art Arno/Bennie Elisabeth Cunningham
Art Arno/Lindemann Rachel Trapani
Speech-Language Pathologist Andrea Alvarez
Vocal Music Todd Burke
Instrumental/Vocal  Music Steven Cross
Physical Education Arno/Bennie Lisa Smalley
Social Work Arno

School Psychologist

Marisa Tringali

Debbie Green

Resource Room Aly Kubik 3-4-5

Nicole Nasutovich- K-1-2

ECP Speech Taylor Cuddy
Reading Coach/Title I Beth Wesley
ESL Jennifer VanMael
Math Coach Erin Jackson

1,793,087 Welcome Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

Welcome to Arno!

This year we are pleased to welcome to the Arno staff: Jessica Eskew- CI program,  Marisa Tringali-Social Work, Ms. Aly Kubik- Resource Room, Aaron Huntington- 4th grade(Pending Board Approval), and Erin Jackson- Math Coach.    Welcome to Arno Jessica, Marisa, Aly, Aaron, and Erin!

Jessica Eskew

My name is Jessica Eskew and I am from Wyandotte, MI! I received my B.S. in Elementary Education with a major in Cognitive Impairments and Masters in Teaching and Learning in Special Education with a concentration in ASD from Wayne State University . Personally, I have been married for 1 wonderful year and recently had a daughter who is 3 months old.  We love to play with our Golden Doodle Sammy. In my spare time I enjoy reading, cooking, and music.I am excited to be a part of the Arno family and help each child progress in all areas of their development—academic, social, language, and motor.  I strive to create a community of learners that nurtures this growth in a positive, fun environment.

Marisa Tringali

Hello! My name is Marisa Tringali and I will be the school social worker at Arno Elementary School this year. I graduated with my undergraduate degree in elementary education from Michigan State University and got my masters in social work from the University of Michigan. Last year, I was a long term school social work substitute at Bennie Elementary and I am so excited to continue my time at Allen Park Public Schools. I look forward to helping our students make this year their best one yet!

Aly Kubik

My name is Aly Kubik and I have the pleasure of
being Arno’s Resource Room teacher. I will encourage
all students to become active participants in their
education and in the school community.
I have a Bachelor of Arts in Special Education from
Eastern Michigan University. This is my first year
teaching and my second year in the district as I served
as a long-term substitute before taking this position.
I was born and raised in Allen Park, graduating
from Allen Park High, Go Jags! I also coach the Girls
Varsity Basketball team.
I am committed to providing your child every
opportunity to have a successful year! I am very excited
to be a part of the Arno family!

Aaron Huntington

Hello, my name is Aaron Huntington and I am a graduate of Michigan
State University with a degree in  Elementary Education with a focus on
Language Arts and a minor in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of
Other Languages). In the winter of 2020 I graduated from Grand Valley
State University with a Masters of Education in Educational Technology. I
have ten years of teaching experience, with five of those years being in
fourth grade.
​    I live right here in Allen Park with my wife and two children. One of our
favorite things to do as a family is walk to any of the amazing parks
around the city. My favorite subjects are English and Science, but I love
certain aspects of them all. I love to see students reading and enjoying
books as much as I do.
I am a hardworking, responsible, and confident person with a continued
passion for elementary education. I believe a great teacher helps children
with the learning process and guides them to finding the answers for
themselves through discussion and discovery.
My interest in teaching was sparked as a child. My grandfather, my
grandmother, and my mother were all teachers or child care providers, so
I feel like I am stepping into a role that has been there for me since I was
young. My mother ran a child care out of our home, so I was always
around children and I would always volunteer to help. Becoming a teacher
was the most natural career choice for me.
I am extremely excited to begin this year at Arno as a fourth grade
teacher. I look forward to meeting everyone and becoming a part of the
Allen Park school community.

10 Ways to Cope With Big Changes | Psychology Today

Additional changes for 2022-23

Please also welcome to Arno staff Angela Monte and Katie Alsobrooks, both new additions to our classroom paraprofessionals.

Katie Jensen, our current CI teacher, will be moving into the role of Media Center teacher, which will take on some new STEM initiatives in the years to come!

Brian Trionfi, one of our 4th grade teachers, accepted a position in math over at APMS.  We thank Brian for all that he has done for Arno (Mr. Khan Academy)  and wish him the best in his new position!

From the PTA

Welcome Arno Cougar Parents!

The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is an all-volunteer, parent-run, non-profit organization that works cooperatively with school administration and educators to provide opportunities for our students and families to socialize by providing fun family events and in-school opportunities. We have provided assemblies, family activity nights, playground/gym equipment, student technology, staff appreciation, and so much more! We will have a table setup during Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday, September 1st at 6:30 PM and will be located by the main doors. There will be information available regarding planned events for the 2022/2023 school year, PTA membership forms, and general PTA information. We know it’s a busy night, but please stop by and see us! 

The PTA Membership Drive will run from September 1st through October 14th and our theme this year is “Fall into the PTA”.  The class that receives the most memberships will win an Ice Cream Social!  Forms will be sent home on the first day of school and a link will be posted on our Facebook page. You can find us on Facebook by searching @arnoelementarypta – be sure to like our page, we occasionally give away cool stuff like Detroit Tigers tickets! Check out the flyer below for more details on the PTA and scan the QR Code to link you directly to our Arno PTA membership page! Please consider joining – the cost is $7 and your membership helps support so much we do for your child. 

Our first PTA meeting will be held in the school cafeteria at 6:00 pm on Thursday, September 8, 2022. The meeting will take place in-person and childcare will be provided for all Arno students. PLEASE JOIN US! If you’re looking for school spirit wear, we will be selling it online from November 16th through November 30th, so mark your calendars! More info will be available in the coming months. 

Our annual FUN RUN FUNDRAISER will take place from September 12, 2022 through September 30, 2022. The actual Fun Run will be held Friday, September 23, 2022 on the playground. This is our biggest fundraising event! It’s because of the fun Run and the support from our Arno Cougar families that we are able to offer free family-fun events and opportunities for our students. More information will be sent home with your child in the coming weeks. 

We have so many fun events planned for the school year and we need your help! Please consider volunteering or serving as a chairperson at one of our events. If we do not have a chairperson for an event, it is at risk to be cancelled. For more information or if you would like to volunteer, please email the PTA at arnopta@gmail.com

We are so excited for the 2022/2023 school year and can’t wait to share these great experiences with our awesome students! 

Image result for teacher PD

TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DATES

This year, the district calendar reflects 7 days of teacher PD.  Those half-day PD dates feature no school in the afternoon, 11:30 dismissal.  The dates for this school year are as follows:

9/1, 10/28 (ER), 11/8, 1/20, 2/17, 3/17, & 5/5 (ER)

REQUIRED PLC meetings (45 Minutes on September, October, December, April). Please remember to list your dates, and share agendas in the folder. 

Classcraft - What is PBIS: A guide for educators and administrators

PBIS Beginning of the Year Stations and Follow-Up Activities

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Thursday, January 12, 2023

There will be 10 minutes spent at each station which includes the discussion and travel time between stations.  You will rotate in sequential order.

Start Times and Stations

8:45a–Huntington (1), Talamonti (2), Johnson (3), Pushman (4), Watson (5)

9:35a–Warneck (1), Guyot (2), Kalis (3), Schultz (4), Martinchick (5)

10:25a–Garza (1), Zuke (2), Higgins (3), Cervantes (4), Amonette (5)

11:55a–Haskin (2), Harrison (3), Mercer (4), Roller (5)

**Presenters, please note that the 11:55a rotation are all littles.  Please shorten your presentation to short attention spans, highlighting the big ideas.  Thank you for making this accommodation!**

1. Office Expectations

Staff: Kim Dowd or Cathy Anderson

Location: outside of office for space

1. Assembly and Bullying Expectations

Staff: Andrea Alvarez

Location:  gym or outside

1. Bus Expectations

Staff: Steve Zielinski

Location: bus located in parking area

1. Cafeteria Expectations

Staff: ????

Location: Cafeteria

1. Hallway Expectations

Staff: Aly Kubik

Location: hallway outside of Media Center/Computer Lab

Follow-Up Activities

~Posters for the hallway

~Individual positive messages

~Write about it in your journal

~Review classroom matrix and expectations

~Draw a picture of when you were kind/somebody was kind to you

~Allen Park Elementary PBIS website (brand new from Kendra Payette-Linn!)

~Watch a PBIS video clip 

RESA PBIS website–“Videos” dropdown on the page

2007SafeSchools 0

FROM THE HR DEPARTMENT:

For those employees required to complete Safe Schools Training, the system should be open soon to complete for the 2022-2023 school year.  The modules need to be completed by October 31.  Please email me if you have any issues.

Choosing the Right Graphite Sketching & Drawing Pencil - Ken Bromley Art Supplies

Drawing to Learn

Looking for a way to make the information you teach more memorable? Grab a pen and paper as author Graham Shaw leads you through a simple exercise to demonstrate the power of drawing and its impact on memory.

Drawing can work better than traditional note-taking because it allows the brain to process new information in a variety of different ways, says Shaw. When students were asked to draw what they had learned in a 2018 study, they were nearly twice as likely to recall that information over their peers who were asked just to write the same information down.

“The quality of the drawings didn’t appear to matter,” Shaw says. “People didn’t need to be artistically brilliant in order to create a drawing that stuck in their mind.”

The key to utilizing drawing as a memory-boosting tool, he explains, is to create a lasting impression by linking the pictures you draw to a meaning. Shaw suggests trying to “think in pictures.” For example, the word “innovation” might invoke the image of a spark or a light bulb, while a sketch of a tree might represent life, growth, or stability.

Top Must Have Technological Tools for the Tech Savvy Teacher | The Teacher's Handbook | Listen & Learn

Tech Time

Ten Good Templates for Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts Activities

At the start of this year ReadWriteThink re-released all of their popular interactive templates for creating all kinds of things including poems, story plots, timelines, compare & contrast maps, and much more. If you haven’t looked at ReadWriteThink in a while, take a look at these updated templates that can be used for lessons in language arts, science, and social studies.

ReadWriteThink offers a good interactive guide that can help students craft a good persuasive essay. The Persuasion Map asks students to start with a thesis statement before walking them through developing support for that thesis. Students can print their persuasion maps or email them to you. RWT offers a number of lesson plans that incorporate the Persuasion Map. You can find those lessons at the bottom of this page.

Essay Map provides students with step by step guidance in the construction of an informational essay. Some of my students seem to struggle most with constructing an introduction and conclusion to their essays. Essay Map is particularly good for helping students visualize the steps needed to construct good introductory and conclusion paragraphs. After students complete all of the steps in their Essay Map they can print their essay outlines.

Read Write Think’s Crossword Puzzle Generator makes it easy to create your own crossword puzzles. To create your puzzle simply enter a list of words, a set of clues for your words, and then let the generator make a puzzle for you. You can test the puzzle before printing it. You can print blank puzzles and answer sheets from the puzzle generator.

Alphabet Organizer is a great little tool from Read Write Think that students can use to create alphabet charts and books. The idea behind Alphabet Organizer is to help students make visual connections between letters of the alphabet and the first letter of common words. Here’s my demo of how it works.

RWT Timeline provides a good way for elementary school students to create timelines that include pictures and text. It doesn’t offer nearly as many options as some other timeline creation tools, but it’s easy to use and more than adequate for elementary school settings.

RWT’s Animal Inquiry guide is a good fit for elementary school science lessons. Animal Inquiry provides students with four templates; animal facts, animal babies, animal interactions, and animal habitats. Each template is an interactive template in which students respond to three prompts to help them create short reports about animals they are studying. Read Write Think suggests using the questions in the Animal Inquiry template as prompts for research. The questions in the templates could also be good for helping students brainstorm additional questions to research.

RWT’s Theme Poems interactive provides students with 32 pictures to use as the basis for writing short poems. To write a poem students launch the interactive then choose a theme. Within each of the five themes students will find related images. Once they choose an image students are prompted to write the words that come to mind as they look at the image. Students then create poems from those words. The finished product can be saved as a PDF and or emailed to a teacher from the RWT site.

The Trading Card Generator is one of my all-time favorite templates from RWT. With this template students can create trading cards about people (real and fictitious), places, and things. Here’s the video that I made about the Trading Card Generator earlier this year.

The RWT Flip Book template lets students create books by typing or by drawing on the pages in their books. There is a variety of page templates that students can choose to use within their books. Some templates are text-only, some are drawing-only, and some are a mix of drawing and text templates. To use RWT Flip Book students simply open the template, enter their first names, then start creating their first pages.Read Write Think’s Word Mover helps students develop poems and short stories. When students open the Word Mover app they are shown a selection of words that they can drag onto a canvas to construct a poem or story. Word Mover provides students with various background colors and patterns on which they can construct their poems. If the word bank provided by Word Mover doesn’t offer enough words they can add their own words to the word bank.

Image result for remind

REMIND

Please be sure that you have been added to my Remind account for any emergency contact needed.  Please enter 81010 and text this message @arnostaff to join our Remind group

Image result for groupme

Welcome Back to the 2016-17 School Year — RISE School Programs